10/20/08

The Highs and Lows of Teaching




So here I am in Taipei, another city in Asia that surprisingly doesn’t sleep, loves to eat and gets really hot when the sun is out! Minus the air pollution and the non stop rain, I love it here. It is hard to believe that this is my two month mark and this is the first blog I have posted, sorry Leng! 

What can I say; being a teacher is most definitely one of the toughest jobs ever! I had this idea that this year long gig was going to be the easiest, breeze of a job ever, WOW I was wrong! Now my faithful readers please do not get me wrong, this job is such a blessing and I wouldn’t change a thing, but there is so much I need to learn and I am not afraid to admit that.

My day to day routine here is pretty standard. I work with my little kiddies at preschool from 9-4 everyday, except Wednesdays and Fridays when they are taking Chinese, and during that time I am up stairs teaching HA7-8, a class full of ten year olds who sometimes think they are a lot older than they really are. If you were to ask me which age group I like better, let’s just say it shifts from day to day!

Right now in preschool I am in the midst of introducing them to Halloween. Today I busted out with some Halloween rhymes and a naughty version of TRICK OR TREAT.

TRICK OR TREAT?
SMELL MY FEET
GIVE ME SOMETHING GOOD TO EAT
IF YOU DON’T, I DON’T CARE
I’LL PULL DOWN YOUR UNDERWEAR!

Needless to say that one got a huge kick out of my little ones as they thought it was one of the funniest things they’d ever heard in their life!

Now my HA7-8 class, let’s just say they are a bunch of crazy little kids. Things had been going really good with them up until Friday when a game of board race seemed to create a room full of sore losers. Let’s just say Teacher Jacqui really had to lay down the law, and not a lot of kids liked that! Long story short I felt frustrated. Especially with a few kids who always seem get under my skin. In my opinion I felt the class was trying to test me and to see how far they could take things.

Well my dear readers I will sign off here! With love from Taipei, I promise to always keep you posted from now on!!!!

No comments: