1/29/08

Photography Folio: Exploring Femininity






During my final year at uni, I was able to take an elective that was outside of the writing feild. From business to music the choices were daunting. There was so much I wished to do, so much I wished to try, but nothing attracted my attention more then KVB 104: PHOTO MEDIA.

I would say this unit was one of the most exciting units I've taken to date. Not only were we taught the basics of photography but, we were given the opportunity to experiment with each assignment.

The pieces above are just three of the pieces I submitted for my final folio. Basically there were no restrictions to this one. We could come up with the theme, the subjects and the style of photography we wished to use.

I contemplated a lot on this one. I thought of doing an abstract folio, a pictorialist folio and even a series of still life shots. However, those ideas did not sound that interesting to me. In my mind, I saw a folio that made a statement, a folio that spoke louder than words ever could.

So with that I came up with The Many Faces of Femininity. Basically I wanted to personify an idea of artificial beauty that so many women and young girls have adopted around the world. In the end I had about 22 shots, but these were my top three I will post the others later.

I have to say I really enjoyed working on this series and would consider doing more in the near future!

No comments: