8/12/07

Everyone has a Story To Tell

Home Song Stories is a movie that opens the heart and really makes you think. Not only did I think it was a cinematic success, but the overall story line, acting and back story, was quite powerful.

Last night, I attended the Brisbane Film Festival last night with my friends Leng and Tiffany. I went there with no agenda. Didn’t know what the film was about, who the director was, what work he’d done before, I just took Leng’s word and went.

I will admit, I was a little disappointed before hand, because Leng did invite me to go see the New Zealand comedy: Eagle VS Shark, but because of work, I couldn’t make it. Anyway, come the end of Home Song Stories I was really glad I got to watch this one.

The movie centres around a single mother and her two children. Originally from Hong Kong, the trio make their way to Australia, after Rose, a well known night club singer, falls in love with an Australian sailor.

What I found most interesting about this film was the portrayal of characters. Rose, as an Asian mother, was portrayed as quite promiscuous and racy. This character surprised me in many ways because I wasn’t used to seeing an Asian ‘movie mom’ portrayed in such a light.

I really admired the way director, Tony Ayers, shaped her character because it really gave her life. What was also quite interesting with her character was how I did not sympathize with her in any way, until half way through the story when she re-hashes her past. I found this scene to be quite moving, particularly because it happened when she was with her daughter. Actress Joan Chan really brought it home here, and did a great job.

When the film was done, we stayed around for Q and A with Tony Ayers. I have to say I was shocked to find out that the film, which depicted such dysfunction, was actually a true account of his life. I have to say I really commended him for telling his life story in such a way, because the way it was told, I am sure a lot of people could relate to it. Moreover, I thought he did a pulled together a great tribute to his mother and most definitely would have made her proud.

I really could not stop thinking about this film all this night and this morning. It gave me goose bumps, and really made me realize that everyone has a past, and everyone has a story to tell.

No comments: